Thursday, December 19, 2013

The Christmas Collective - Part III : The Zeal of the LORD!


"To us a child is born, to us a son is given,
 and the government shall be upon his shoulders.

And His name shall be called Wonderful Counselor, 
Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.  

Of the increase of his government and of peace there will be no end.  

On the throne of David and over his kingdom, 
to establish it and to uphold it with justice and righteousness
 from this time forth and forevermore. 

The zeal of the Lord of hosts will do this."- Isaiah 9:6-7

This prophetic scripture is often quoted and used at this time of year, at Christmas time.  It is easy to read through this quickly.  We often do. Because some of us have heard it over and over again, it can carry little meaning.

Personally, I can hear Linus saying these words. Ok, maybe he was quoting from Luke 6. I can't recall for sure because we lost our DVD copy. I can hear him saying it anyway.  There's something calm and delightful about that part of the movie which has always warmed my heart.  However...

This year...I am pondering the words more slowly, more deeply and my heart swells with wonder, awe and love.

Dwell here with me. 

Ponder for a few minutes.

As I read, I am drawn to read again and again, while finding great emphasis on different words and sections each time.

Will you try it with me? 

"TO US a child is born, TO us a son is given"

or

"To US a child is born, To US a son is given"

Or

"To us a CHILD is born, to us a SON is given"

Or

"To us a child is BORN, to us a son is GIVEN"

Do you see what I mean?

TO US A CHILD IS BORN, TO US A SON IS GIVEN..

and it continues!

There is SO much richness in this passage!  I could probably write pages, or several posts, on just these two verses! In fact, I would guess that other writers have written much about them!

We are given a gift like no other, that nothing else can compare to! - Entrusted to this world as a baby!

"The government will be on his shoulders" - not mine. HIS.  - Whew! Thank goodness!

He can't even be called by only one name. These four are just a teaser, an entry, into the vastness that is our God. -  Even each word in each name is amazing.  Wonderful. Counselor. Mighty. God.

Of the increase of HIS government and of HIS PEACE there will be NO END- Can I get an Amen?!

It is ESTABLISHED and UPHELD by our great God! So mighty and strong is He!

Today - there is one part of these verses that grabs my heart even more and shakes it vehemently.  I feel like bursting with joy and wonder as I think of Him. 

The ZEAL of the Lord!  

Consider what his ZEAL must be like! POWERFUL!

ZEAL - as defined by Websters'  "eagerness and ardent interest in pursuit of something"

Can you imagine our omnipotent God - acting with Zeal - to accomplish what he said?!

He didn't just say, "Oh looky there. I made man and now he has messed it all up. I guess I have to do something so he can still be in my Holy presence."

NO! He had a plan!  He knew his creation would not be able to be Holy in his presence without His great act of love, and without His redemption.  Though there is and has been pain and suffering along the way, this just and righteous act of working out His plan of salvation and sanctification ushers us into the most amazing relationship ever. 

With EAGERNESS and ARDENT INTEREST in PURSUIT He will accomplish it! - Again, can I get an AMEN!

He acted with ZEAL to give us the gift of His son - Jesus.

He acted with ZEAL to fulfill the statistically impossible prophecies.

He acted with ZEAL to establish His Kingdom and

He acts with ZEAL to uphold it!

He acts with ZEAL in justice and righteousness.

He acts with ZEAL to bring about salvation and redemption.

He acts with ZEAL to bring us into His presence!

YES! The ZEAL of The Lord of Hosts (ESV) 

Or, The ZEAL of The Lord Almighty (NIV).

He acts with ZEAL to bring about His glorious purposes through the Savior, through the baby Jesus.  The baby who lived a perfect life, and who later died as payment for OUR sins, but was resurrected!  This baby whose birth we celebrate at Christmas!  This is powerful stuff! 

   Go ahead! Get up. do a dance, a little jig!  Smile! 

Jump up and shout praises!

I dare you!  I'll do it to! (Probably when no one is looking.)

In fact, I NEED to do it.

Can you imagine it?  REALLY?

Whatever you can imagine, multiply it!

In fact - how about reading Priscilla Shirer's monologue of WHO HE IS - out loud

VERY LOUDLY?!?  Would you? Could you?


Isaiah 9:7 also tells us this will continue "from this time forth and forevermore."  It's not going to stop!  He will continue to act with ZEAL to accomplish the work He has put in place.

LORD - You are ZEALOUS in your pursuit to accomplish what you desire.  What you have begun, what you have planned, you WILL complete!

At times I have felt that God was powerful and mighty to move, in fact, to act with ZEAL...in other people's lives.

Too often, I have doubted that he would move mightily in my own.  The enemy wants me to doubt, to fear and to cower in a corner, and to refrain from requesting the Lord's help. His Word tells me...

Be not dismayed! The Lord is with you!

"you whom I took from the ends of the earth,
and called from its farthest corners,
saying to you, "You are my servant,
I have chosen you and not cast you off";
fear not, for I am with you; 
be not dismayed, for I am your God; 
I will strengthen you, I will help you,
I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."
- Isaiah 41:9-10

Our Father is zealous in His work.  He HAS and He WILL accomplish what He sets forth to do!

When the enemy starts whispering lies and tempting you away from honoring the Lord, turn away and seek the Lord.

Be reminded, as I too remind myself, He IS working in your life.

He has worked with Zeal to bring about the redemptive work of Christ. He will work with ZEAL to do what He says He will do, and what will bring about His purposes forevermore.

May we rejoice in His Zeal as we celebrate the birth of Christ.


Other posts in The Christmas Collective series...

No comments:

Post a Comment