Saturday, November 30, 2013

Confessions of a Collector

Collecting things.

I've had a tendency to do this over the years.  For awhile it is great, but the feeling never lasts. 

Collections can be fun. Collections can be useful and sometimes profitable. However, they can also be problematic in a number of ways.  Often, they cost money.  And more money and more money. They take up space. They collect dust. In the process of collecting, they can create messes.  Often they cause more stresses.

Over the years I have collected in so many (ahem...obsessive) ways.  For several years it was Precious Moments figurines, then it was Beanie Babies.  Yeah, we all know how the Beanie Baby collection ended up. 

Then there has been the collections of home school curriculum, books of all kinds, videos and audio books and audio teachings etc.  When this happens...when book case after book case begins to overflow in your home...you just might have to start a lending library...which, of course, I did.  It was great, but it also added a LOT of stress for several years.

When it comes to shopping, for things to collect, it's really not something I look forward to. However, once something is in my mind that I think I need or really want, I set forth to find a way to get it.  Ugh. I'm sure I'm not alone in this, right?

In addition, there have been several times when it has been really challenging to resist great sales around the items I think I must have! It's calling out...come and get me.  I'm on sale, and you have a coupon!

Then, when I start to shop... I can't decide.  Hmm...this looks good in this option AND this option...So...I have had a tendency to overspend out of indecision and out of a lack of self-control. And obsessive compulsions.  Still working on this my Darling D.

Oh...and clothes.  Do you have a clothing collection? I have collected a variety of basic tanks, t-shirts and long sleeve shirts, in black, white, gray and tan.  I have collected shoes, because sometimes you have to have black AND brown of the same shoe.  But, of course, those collections are just plain practical, right?  And then I have collections IN my clothes, because sometimes you need blue, green AND purple of the same shirt.  Don't you?

I've also had great intentions to do great things - that resulted in collections.  Like stamping...and scrapbooking.  Yeah - well, I still have plenty of "stuff" and little in the way of results.  But there's always someday...

Something I still collect is information.  That is something I truly enjoy and will probably not stop doing.  As a Contemplator, I have a great need to know...in the areas I am interested in.  With Pinterest, Evernote and Kindles it is easy to collect information, for free, and without the dust or space problems.  Also, if I don't get around to actually reading and studying it...it's OK.  I had fun in the process.

At Christmas time, most of us are collecting aren't we? We collect lists.  We collect sales ads.  We collect decorations.  We collect presents and we collect supplies to wrap those presents in.  We collect Christmas cards from loved ones and those we barely know.  Often...we collect stress and we collect debt.

Shoot...throughout the year we even collect friends, followers and likes! 

We are all collectors in some way. I'm pretty sure. Or, maybe that just makes me feel better.

Collecting though...it can become compulsive. 

Collecting...can become obsessive.

Collecting...can lead our hearts astray and cause our eyes to fixate on the wrong things.

I have collected in these ways, and for me, it only resulted in pain and stress and debt.

This year, I plan to be compelled by something different. 

For the Christmas season this year...I plan to collect something different.

This year...my collecting is also part of my giving.


This year...it's about The Christmas Collective.


yeah...it's still coming...
I also collect thoughts
and then write and write...
.for real...
The Christmas Collective is coming soon!


I want to hear from you! What do you collect?
Has that changed over the years? 



Posts in The Christmas Collective series...

No comments:

Post a Comment