Friday, December 6, 2013

The Christmas Collective - Part II: Tradition!


After recovering from Thanksgiving Day food overload, many of us are really beginning to soak in all that Christmastime brings.  The music and movies, the decorations and lights, the parties and events, the crafts and the great array of sweet treats and yummy foods...aahhh....  Many of these bring great joy and anticipation.

For those of us who look to CHRIST at Christmas time, we are reminded of a baby born, in humble and low circumstances.  We are reminded that through this birth and the following death and resurrection, we are given so, so much.  Thus, we are prompted to give in return.

For some, every moment of the holiday season is relished and looked forward to. They...we...even want to get the season started early.

Then there are many who find it all less than desirable. It may remind them of tragic and challenging circumstances, or the loss of someone special.  Or, it may be a reminder that they do not have "that someone special" to spend this time with, or the money with which to give to others.  For some, Christmas is too commercialized or has roots in celebrations that they don't want to be a part of, and so they choose not to participate at all.

What feelings do you have around the Christmas season? What does it mean to you?

For me, this is a mostly positive time as I reflect on many beautiful memories created over the years.  Most of these memories center more around traditions and pleasant times with loved ones and less about any gift I ever received.   

Except the violin in the closet mom, I remember that one well. How could I forget? The year I received my violin I also received all of my presents wrapped in the most amazing violin wrapping paper. It also began the annual gift, in said wrapping paper...for over 25 years.  It's the paper that never ends. It goes on and on my friends.

Anyway...
 
Looking back, I remember our school Christmas programs and our Christmas Eve services at church followed by a special present opening at home, which was always an ornament.

I remember dad buying the specially shaped ice cream treats; either Santa, a snowman or a Christmas tree. It was a one time purchase, just before Christmas.  I loved it.  I didn't care about artificial colorings then.

I remember my mom and her hidden gifts. She would buy them throughout the year and hide them in various places. You know, because we wouldn't do everything we could to find them anyway.  Inevitably on Christmas morning she would tell us, "Oh! I forgot one!" and leave the room.  Or, we'd find out about a missing gift a few days, months, or years later.  Of course, she'd forgotten where she stashed it.  

Gifts were also often without name tags. Sometimes, a gift would be handed to the wrong person. We'd open it and wonder, "Ummmmm...."   Then mom would laugh and sigh. Then we'd hand it over....

Years later, I would I take after her in so many ways.  Thankfully, we are both not-so-perfect.  

I thank my parents for all they did to make these times memorable.  Thanks to their efforts, and even the mishaps, there are many treasured memories in my heart that bring joy upon remembrance.

I've longed to follow my parents footsteps in my own home. I began creating our family traditions as a single mom. Then I married someone whose childhood was far, far different than mine.  His memories were different, and his traditions, or lack thereof, were far different. This caused some problems in the beginning as tradition meant a lot to me, and not so much to him.

Sometimes, in order to carry out the traditions I wanted, I have forced things to happen and brought more stress and tension in the home. Like making sure there are "enough" presents when we couldn't afford it.  

In other ways, the effort I put into carrying on Christmas traditions with my children has brought about positive experiences and fond memories for them as it used to for me. Like the ornament gifts on Christmas Eve, the stockings before presents on Christmas morning and...the opening of...ONE...gift...at...a...time! 

While traditions have meant so much to me, I recall the ways this has played out in our family.  I have this image of  Tevye (the papa in Fiddler on the Roof) as he cries out "Tradition!".  Because of it's importance, I would let frustration, anger and bitterness creep in and demand for "Tradition!"


In my heart, what I longed for was that things would stay the same; that they would be like my childhood.  I have longed to keep those feelings of safety and love and comfort. I want to share them and pass them on.

Last year though, Christmastime was far different. I was in the throes of helping to raise children who were not able to be with the ones they missed and loved.  They were not able to be loved and cared for and kept safe by their parents.  They didn't have loving family memories that were anything like mine.

All around me I was reminded of the pain brought on by selfishness, drugs, alcohol, anger and mental illnesses.  I was reminded of how many children who, while they would enjoy nice gifts, also need love, safety, comfort and family.

We loved our precious foster children dearly. We did what we could to make their time memorable and enjoyable.  We tried to give them new parameters for what Christmas could like in a home filled with love.  We gave them gifts, but we also gave them Christ by sharing the hope and the life that Jesus offers. 

Since then, so much has changed.  Our family dynamics, our finances and even our hearts. 

So what of tradition?  It looks different now.

The warm and comforting feelings of tradition are still treasured and desired when they can or do occur. We desire that these new traditions will be centered on the heart of God, not the heart of man. They gives us just a glimpse and a sweet reminder of the love of our Father. Ultimately, the feeling of peace comes through trusting in a great and good God, no matter what the circumstances are. This peace is at the root of the warm feelings, not the traditions themselves. 

My heart is ever more aware of the great wealth found in the gift of Jesus alone.  In this I rest, and have the gift of peace and joy.  

Traditions can be a way to share the love of Christ to others, but it begins with the heart and is determined in the focus.  In years past, as I tried to set traditions in place my heart wasn't always focused on Him, but more on me. Doing so kept me from experiencing the gift of peace He wanted to give me. 

This year I look forward to starting traditions centered on Christ and filled with the overflow of all that He has given me.  I look forward to seeking Him above the "things" and even above the expectations of what Christmastime should look like or be like.  In doing so, His peace is revealed. His joy is given. 

Even as I write this, I have just realized that we may have lost our history of ornament collecting in our move back home. I am sad, but the words I write remind my own heart that I have the memories, but most importantly, I have His peace and will not let the enemy steal my joy. 

This year I have a new level of peace and a revised focus.  We have been given so much to enjoy. We are blessed to have our home, our family, our friends and our community. So many do not have these. The only constant available to all of us, and in all, is Christ. 

Thankfulness for all that we already have invades my mind and all that gets planned.

This year we can't even begin to afford the plethora of gifts under the tree.  This year we don't even want it.  

This year we are more dedicated to focusing on the gifts of Jesus and our gifts to Him. 
 
This year, we look forward to enjoying what we already have and to spending time together.  We also remind ourselves to let disruptions run their course and then let it go.  In doing so, this year, we are creating and collecting memories filled with peace and love.


This year new traditions will be formed...out of hearts that continue to be transformed. 



What do your traditions look like?

No comments:

Post a Comment